Shopping malls and complexes
- Shopping complex: Akasaka
Built by TV and radio network TBS, this sprawling complex includes TBS Broadcast Center, a theater, a concert venue, gallery spaces, office and residential towers, and a restaurant-shopping area...
- Shopping complex: Omotesando
With its striking silhouette, this shopping and office complex stands out against the Aoyama skyline. The building was completed in 2009, designed by the architectural firm of Sakakura Associates.
- Shopping complex: Kichijoji [Open 10am-9pm daily.]
This branch of JR's Atre shopping complex offers a sprawling, rather impressive food hall, on a par with Shinjuku department-store food floors.
- Shopping complex: Yokohama Sta. [Open 11am-11pm daily.]
This five-story shopping mall overlooking the bay offers a diverse and affordable range of shops and restaurants, including several that cater to dog-owners. There's also a docking area for water...
Daiba Itchome Shotengai
- Attraction: Daiba [Open 11am-9pm daily.]
This nostalgic recreation of an urban Tokyo neighborhood from the 1960s includes shops selling toys and novelty items of the era. An old-fashioned game arcade offers minature bowling and vintage...
- Shopping complex: Daikanyama [Open 7am-2am daily.]
This tasteful, low-rise specialty shopping complex is anchored by a large branch of Tsutaya bookstore, and it also features boutique-style shops specializing in cameras, bicycles, toys and pet...
Harumi Triton Square
- Shopping complex: Harumi [Open 10am-11pm daily.]
Although it's somewhat off the beaten track, this neighborhood shopping mall boasts an attractive waterfront setting and a pleasant multi-story outdoor terrace. There are 18 shops, 14 restaurants...
- Shopping complex: Shibuya [Open 10am-11pm daily.]
Anchoring the east side of Shibuya station, this massive shopping, entertainment and office complex includes eight floors of shopping (including two floors of food halls); more than two dozen...
- Shopping complex: Harajuku [Open 11am-8pm daily.]
One of Harajuku's most famous shopping destinations, this six-story building is crammed with tiny boutiques representing various current fashion trends. The top-floor museum hosts regular...
Lalaport Tokyo Bay
- Shopping complex: Minami-Funabashi [Open 10am-11pm daily.]
Japan's first mega shopping mall, Lalaport opened in 1981 and has grown steadily over the decades to its present size. It currently has 540 stores, plus several movie theaters and dozens of...
- Shopping complex: Toyosu [Open 10am-9pm (restaurants -11pm) daily.]
A massive shopping and restaurant complex with more than 185 retail stores, "Urban Dock Lalaport Toyosu" is located right on the Tokyo Bay waterfront, offering lovely nighttime views of central...
- Shopping complex: Nakano [Open noon-8pm daily.]
The ground floor of Nakano Broadway looks like a typical neighborhood arcade - dozens of shops selling handbags, sneakers, pet supplies and so on. But step onto the escalator and prepare to enter a...
- Shopping complex: Harajuku
This very stylish seven-story shopping and restaurant complex features mostly small boutiques and luxury brands. The structure was designed by architect Tadao Ando and completed in 2006.
Queen's Square Yokohama
- Shopping complex: Yokohama Minato-mirai [Open 11am-10pm daily.]
This huge complex anchoring the redeveloped Minato-Mirai area includes several office buildings, a concert hall, a hotel, more than 100 retail shops spread over two separate shopping malls (called...
Sunshine City Alpa
- Shopping complex: Ikebukuro
The shoping mall area at the center of the Sunshine City complex offers three floors of retailers and one restaurant floor.
Tokyu Plaza Omotesando Harajuku
- Shopping complex: Harajuku [Open 8am-11:30pm daily.]
Yes, Tokyu Plaza is yet another multi-story shopping center in a city full of them, but this one is worth knowing about for the lovely sixth-floor rooftop terrace area that looks out over Harajuku. ...
Mitsui Outlet Park
- Shopping complex: Hachioji [Open 10am-8pm daily.]
Adidas, Levi's, Lacoste, Zoff, Franc Franc and dozens of other brands are represented in this huge suburban outlet mall.
Mitsui Outlet Park
- Shopping complex: Kaihin Makuhari (Chiba) [Open 10am-8pm daily.]
Conveniently located next to Kaihin Makuhari station, this large outlet mall offers dozens of name-brand stores like Adidas and United Arrows.
Mitsui Outlet Park
- Shopping complex: Yokohama [Open 10am-8pm daily.]
This bayside outlet mall is located next to a large marina, and is fashioned after a seaside port village.
Mitsui Outlet Park Iruma
- Shopping complex: Saitama-ken [Open 10am-8pm daily.]
The decor of this branch of Mitsui Outlet Mall is based on a forest theme, with leaf-shaped benches and woodsy artwork. Shops include Beams, Banana Republic, Franc Franc, Ralph Lauren, and dozens...
- Retail: Machida [Open 10am-8pm daily.]
The American-based big box store is set up warehouse-style, with towering stacks of consumer goods stretching off to the horizon. You'll find everything from frozen pizzas and disposable contact...
- Retail: Minami-Funabashi [Open 11am-7:30pm daily.]
This branch of the giant Swedish retailer is convenient to the train station and located nearby the huge Lalaport shopping mall.
- Retail: Saitama-ken [Open 10am-9pm daily.]
Located next to the Lalacity shopping mall at Shin-Misato station.
- Retail: Yokohama [Open 10am-9pm daily.]