C-Bic Sun Plaza
- Bowling alley: Nakano [Open 10am-5am (Sat, Sun 8:40am-5am) daily.]
Located in the basement of Nakano Sun Plaza hotel, this late-night bowling alley has 28 lanes on two floors.
- Shopping complex: Nakano [Open noon-8pm daily.]
The ground floor of Nakano Broadway looks like a typical neighborhood arcade - dozens of shops selling handbags, sneakers, pet supplies and so on. But step onto the escalator and prepare to enter a...
- Retail: Nakano [Open 10am-8:30pm daily.]
Simply one of the best camera shops in town, this 70-year-old shop sells used and new equipment at competitive prices.
Aketa no Mise
- Jazz club: Nishi-Ogikubo [Open 7-11pm daily.]
Shows 7:30-11pm; admission is Y2500 with one drink.
Inokashira Park Zoo
- Zoo: Kichijoji [Open 9:30am-5pm (entrance until 4pm). Closed Mondays.]
This low-key zoo specializes in animals that are native to Japan, so don't expect to see lions and giraffes, although they do have an Asiatic elephant and many tropical birds. Some of the other...
- Park/garden: Kichijoji
You live in Tokyo and so you know all you ever need to know about life in the fast lane. But to savor the city at its most engagingly indolent, you take the trip out to Inokashira Park. This spot...
- Shopping complex: Kichijoji [Open 10am-9pm daily.]
This branch of JR's Atre shopping complex offers a sprawling, rather impressive food hall, on a par with Shinjuku department-store food floors.
- Cat cafe: Kichijoji [Open 11am-10pm (LO) daily.]
One of Tokyo's largest cat cafes, with 28 resident felines to hang out with. Y900 for one hour; soft drinks are Y100-200.
- Jazz club: Kichijoji [Open 7pm- daily.]
Jazz nightly from 7pm, from Y1500.
Tokyo Bowling Center
- Bowling alley: Kichijoji [Open 10am-10pm daily.]
Located inside a small hotel, the bowling alley offers midday party plans that include a buffet lunch, priced from Y3200.
- Museum: Mitaka [Open 10am-6pm. Closed Tuesdays.]
When Hayao Miyazaki's spellbinding Spirited Away won the Oscar for best animated feature in 2003, it only confirmed to the world what Japan has known for decades: that the work of Miyazaki and his...
Edo-Tokyo Open-Air Architectural Museum
- Museum: Koganei [Open April-Sept 9:30am-5:30pm; Oct-March 9:30am-4:30pm (last entry 30 min earlier). Closed Mondays (or Tues if Mon is natl holiday).]
This massive open-air museum features preserved and reconstructed examples of Tokyo's Edo-era architecture. Besides merchants' mansions and crowded shops, there's also a mausoleum and a bathhouse. ...